06 September 2006

Foam on the Range

It finally happened. I honestly can't believe it. Someone pinch me to see if I'm just asleep, OK?

The other day I joined a few colleagues from the university and had...drumroll, please...a beer in Canyon TX. Yessiree, yours truly and some of your profs had a Shiner bock at Big Earl's BBQ and Taco House.

No kidding. In my 17+ years here, not once has anyone been able to get a beer or glass of wine in this town. Yeah, I know that the golf club in Hunsley Hills sells the stuff, but that's almost out of town. I'm talking about a real live university town here, where profs and students can go somewhere in a non-threatening setting and just engage one another in conversation over adult beverages.

And you know what? Hell didn't freeze over. The city didn't collapse in moral decay. And I enjoyed myself.

But allow me to back up a little first.

I grew up in the south suburbs of Chicago, which means there were taverns and liquor stores everywhere. Half of my family is Catholic (although I was raised Protestant), and if you've never been to a Catholic wedding or funeral before, you have lived a sheltered life. Having access to alcohol was, and is, a non-issue for me.

Sure, I'm a serious member of my faith community. Don't get me wrong on that count. But I'm afraid a lot of well-meaning people have simply missed the point on this issue. It's sad, but I think some people have confused oppression with religion.

And both are bad words, if you ask me. If you don't like something, then make sure you outlaw it for everyone.

I did all of my graduate studies at Indiana University. My roommate was a law student, and located conveniently across the street from the law school was Nick's Tavern. Students and profs would go there daily to commiserate, swap stories, and learn from one another. It was a place where community happened, a logical extension of the university, but without all the formalities and rules.

In other words, it was cool.

I envied my roommate, for the School of Business was all the way across campus, and all we had nearby was a bagel shop. Not exactly the thing over which you tried to solve the world's problems.

But I digress. We made up for it on Thursday nights at the Irish pub down by the railroad tracks.

Today I am happy for the City of Canyon in that its leaders have finally found fit to not deny a permit to Big Earl's (which is owned and operated by the same people who own Feldman's Diner). For once, people have a choice in this town.

I fully understand how one's religious beliefs can influence his or her consumer behavior. And this phenomenon is not limited to just Christianity, mind you. There are other religions around the world masquerading as political entities. If drinking alcohol is not for you, then don't do it. Pretty simple. I respect you...now please respect me.

But the problem is, I think that many people have sent the wrong message to the community. A theocratic government leaves no room for dissension, and only breeds discontent among those who don't buy in. Furthermore, I don't see the value in any religion that, aside from the obvious moral codes, tries to mandate how everyone shall determine the little details of their lives.

This is a new era for Canyon TX. Alcohol is not the answer to this city's problems, nor will it be the cause for any. No, it's about freedom and allowing adults to make up their own minds about adult issues.

What Would Jesus Do about this issue? I think he'd say something about all those strained gnats and swallowed camels.

Dr "I Was There On Opening Day" Gerlich

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home